Question AMD Radeon Pro W5700 for mining ethereum

nivrij

Mitglied
Bewertungspunkte
I am contemplating about buying this card because someone is offering this to me for a cheaper price here where I live. From my understanding, this card is just the "professional" / "workstation" equivalent of RX 5700 XT.

1609973853980.png

Any thoughts on this card? Has anyone here actually used this for mining? Does anyone know what the hashrate is? Can an unlocked BIOS be flashed on this GPU?

I installed the latest motherboard BIOS, reset the CMOS and saved all the motherboard settings you indicated (except "USB Support" as I could not find it).

I connected the bricked card via a riser to the black PCIe slot. I then again attempted the "technique" to plug the USB cable to the riser while the system was booting. I tried many times to vary my timings. There were just again two outcomes: (1) system won't boot, and (2) system boots into FreeDOS without detecting the card. I just cannot find that "perfect timing" (or does that even exist in my case?).

I'm starting to think that this workstation card is different from other cards that are relatively easy to unbrick as it has more security build into it, although I could be wrong.

I am left with three more options which I will explore as soon as I have the needed tools. I'll try an older motherboard with an old CPU. If that does not work, I'll try the BIOS chip shorting method, and if that fails too, I'll try a BIOS programmer.

But of course, if the good members of this forum have other techniques to suggest, I am more than happy to try them.
In case you are going to shorten the vbios chip then please follow the guide in the kindly attached link below, to access the vbios chip you need to remove the heatsink, the vbios chip is located underneath the Navi 10 chip,

My research has so far led me to doing the BIOS chip shorting method in order for my system to recognize my card.

In case I resort to that, would you know which is the BIOS chip here? I hope the image is clear enough.

Anhang anzeigen 10681

Information online says the chip should be labeled U1-12 but I can't find that anywhere on the back of the card.
The chip label for this card is U3 and the chip location is above AMD label and under Navi 10 chip after the heatsink is removed.

I'm here to report that the BIOS chip shorting method was a success!

The computer booted and the card was detected again! I successfully flashed the card using Flash Tool 2.93+ Win under Windows 10 because I was getting an error using the DOS version of ATIFlash (I forgot the exact message but it was something along the lines of 'cannot flash this image or rom').

Sharing with you the photos related to this endeavor:

1612389217029.png

1612389189850.png

1612389144527.png

I can't be more thankful to you, Mini_Me, and this wonderful community!

Now it's time to find some more BIOS files to flash. I'M KIDDING! 😆 At least I'd like to learn how to underclock and power-limit this card without BIOS-modding.

I'm here to report that the BIOS chip shorting method was a success!

The computer booted and the card was detected again! I successfully flashed the card using Flash Tool 2.93+ Win under Windows 10 because I was getting an error using the DOS version of ATIFlash (I forgot the exact message but it was something along the lines of 'cannot flash this image or rom').

Sharing with you the photos related to this endeavor:

Anhang anzeigen 10800

Anhang anzeigen 10799

Anhang anzeigen 10798

I can't be more thankful to you, Mini_Me, and this wonderful community!

Now it's time to find some more BIOS files to flash. I'M KIDDING! 😆 At least I'd like to learn how to underclock and power-limit this card without BIOS-modding.
You are welcome and no worries, I believe only this time this method was needed and after that I believe in case something happened, the recovery using a second gpu may be a success,

I am going to unlock the original vbios for you to modify it the way you like it.

By the way, if you are living in the United States I can share with you a way to get free high performance thermal pads.

You are welcome and no worries, I believe only this time this method was needed and after that I believe in case something happened, the recovery using a second gpu may be a success,

I am going to unlock the original vbios for you to modify it the way you like it.

I look forward to the unlocked vbios of this thing!

By the way, if you are living in the United States I can share with you a way to get free high performance thermal pads.

I don't live in the United States but thank you for the offer. I can get my hands on good thermal pads only they're not for free here 😆

I believe not now, first please use the unlocked vbios file in the kindly attached link below, it is already modified and ready to use for mining as well,

I'm glad to report that the flashing was successful! The memory temps, GPU clock speed and power consumption are now much lower. Only things left to figure out are how to enable the MSI afterburner sliders and PhoenixMiner to recognize and apply the custom card settings I set through the CMD parameters.

Thank you very much!

I'm glad to report that the flashing was successful! The memory temps, GPU clock speed and power consumption are now much lower. Only things left to figure out are how to enable the MSI afterburner sliders and PhoenixMiner to recognize and apply the custom card settings I set through the CMD parameters.

Thank you very much!
It is easy, I am going to do that for you and send you another vbios.

Oben Unten